Vidic unlikely to extend Manchester United deal, says agent

Vidic

Nemanja Vidic is unlikely to extend his Manchester United deal, according to the centre-half’s agent.

The 32-year-old, whose current contract is set to expire at the end of the season, has struggled with form and fitness this season – making just 13 Premier League appearances.

Vidic’s agent, Silvano Martina, does not expect his client to pen fresh terms at Old Trafford and insists the Serb has already attracted interest from a number of other clubs.

“At the moment, I would rule out an extension with Manchester United,” he told Radio Crc.

“Vidic, given his contract situation, has several teams looking at him. Vidic is a very good player and will have no trouble finding a new club. For the time being we are remaining calm.”

When questioned on speculation surrounding a switch to Napoli, Martina denied any concrete interest on behalf of the Serie A side.

“At the moment there has been no contact,” he stated.

“But thanks to the management of [President Aurelio] De Laurentiis and [sporting director Riccardo] Bigon, they are one of the best clubs in Europe.”

*KJ*

Posted By Kevin Jasper (@KevinJasper3)

Advertisements

Official: Real Madrid sign Isco on five-year deal

The Primera Division giants have confirmed the capture of the attacking midfielder on a contract until the summer of 2018

Real Madrid have announced on their official website that they have completed the signing of Isco from Malaga for an undisclosed fee on a five-year deal, subject to the completion of a medical.

The 21-year-old had also caught the attention of Manchester City as former Malaga boss Manuel Pellegrini was keen to lure him to the Premier League, but he has opted to continue his career in La Liga instead.

Madrid president Florentino Perez had already revealed on Wednesday that they were on the verge of signing the gifted youngster and they have now made the deal official.

“Real Madrid and Malaga have reached an agreement over the transfer of Francisco Roman Alarcon Isco, who will sign a five-year contract with the club,” a Madrid statement reads.

“The player will undergo his medical on July 3 and then be presented to the press at the Santiago Bernabeu.”
Isco is a product of the Valencia youth academy, but left los Chein the summer of 2011 in an attempt toget regular playing time elsewhere.

He had since developed into a key player at Malaga and was one of the stars of the Spain U-21 team that were crowned European champions in Israel this summer.

Manchester City confirm Pellegrini appointment

The Chilean has signed a three-year deal to succeed Roberto Mancini at the Etihad Stadium after a protracted departure from Malaga, and will begin his duties on June 24

Manchester City have confirmed Manuel Pellegrini as the club’s new manager on a three-year deal.

Pellegrini succeeds the sacked Roberto Mancini, having guided Villarreal to the Champions League semi-finals and Malaga to the last eight in their debut campaigns in Europe’s elite competition.

Kevin Jasper

CONFED CUP: We won’t play negative football – Mikel

Chelsea midfieder, John Obi Mikel has dropped the strongest possible hint that African champions, Nigeria will not play negative football at the 2013 Fifa Confederations Cup in Brazil.
Nigeria, unbeaten from their last 16 games, will play Namibia in a 2014 Fifa World Cup qualifier on June 12 before jetting off to Brazil.

The African champions are in Group B of the Fifa Confederations Cup alongside Spain, Uruguay and Tahiti.
Mikel, who is an integral member of the Nigeria team, has now taken the time to discuss the tactics of head coach, Stephen Keshi.
“He (Keshi) likes us to keep the ball and express ourselves and that’s why the results have been good for us in recent matches,” Mikel told Fifa Football Mundial.
Nigeria begin their Fifa Confederations Cup campaign againstTahiti on June 17 at the Estadio Mineirao in Belo Horizonte.
Three days later, the Super Eagles will line up against South American champions, Uruguay at the Arena Fonte Nova, Salvador before rounding off their preliminary campaign against world and European champions,Spain at the Estadio Castelao, Fortaleza on June 23.

Source: Vanguard.

By Kevin Jasper

Confederations Cup: Tahiti coach dreams good start against Eagles

Tahiti coach Eddy Etaeta is dreaming ofa good start against the Super Eagles when they clash in the opening game of the FIFA Confederations Cup on June 17.

Tahiti are drawn in group B alongside Nigeria, Uruguay and World and European champions Spain. Tahiti obviously are the weakest team of the group and they indicated that they have much crying to do after the Chilean Under-20 team thrashed them 7-0 during a warm up match.

“I really hope this defeat will act as a trigger for us and that we will react to this spanking when we play our first game against Nigeria.”
Meanwhile all eight nations confirmed their list of players for the tournament and Brazil is already agog as they expect the arrivals of six other nations. Brazil and Tahiti are already on ground.

Hosts and reigning FIFA Confederations Cup champions Brazil boast an array of attacking talent, with Neymar and Oscar arguably the star attractions.
Attempting to halt their progress in Group A will be Italy, who have a blend of youth and experience in their squad. Alongside the likes of Mario Balotelli and Sebastian Giovinco are veterans Gianluigi Buffon and Andrea Pirlo. Japan and Mexico, meanwhile, will look to their respective talis mans in Keisuke Honda and the much-beloved Javier Hernandez.

By Kevin Jasper

Neymar: I want to help Messi stay the best

The new Barcelona signing is determined to contribute to the team and is looking forward to playing at Camp Nou next season

Neymar says he wants to help Lionel Messi continue to be the best player in the world following the Brazil international’s move from Santos to Barcelona.

The 21-year-old sealed a lucrative move to Camp Nou last week following months of speculation and is relishing the prospect of linking up with the Argentine.

“I want to help the team. Barce are more than a club,” the Selecao forward said at his unveiling.

“I want to help Messi to continue being the best player in the world. I am very happy to be a Barca player. It’s a dream come true.

“I’m very happy. It’s very emotional. It’s very exciting to be aBarca player. It’s a dream, thank you very much.”

Neymar was introduced to fans at Camp Nou and says he cannot wait to play at the stadium.

“Camp Nou is very emotional. I’m very happy. Thank you very much.”

Jonathan rewards Golden Eaglets, African under-18 athletics champions

Abuja – President Goodluck Jonathan on Tuesday announced various forms of cash reward to members of the national under-17 male football team and Nigeria’s medalists at the maiden African U-18 Athletics Championships.

Jonathan announced the cash reward at a special reception in honour of the Golden Eaglets and the athletes at the Banquet Hall of the Presidential Villa in Abuja.

Another Nigerian, Davidson Emenogu, the current World Boxing Organisation’s International Champion, was also honoured at the event.

Jonathan announced a cash reward of N500,000 each for players and officials of the football team known as the Golden Eaglets.
The team’s chief coach however got N1 million, while the team’s curator got N300,000.

The President also announced cash rewards of N500,000 each for the gold medalists at the African championships, while the silver medalists got N400,000 each.

The bronze medalists were rewarded with N300,000 each, while the team officials were rewarded with N500,000 each.

NAN recalls that the Golden Eaglets came second at the 10th CAF U-17 Championship held in Morocco between April 13 and April 17.

The performance also earned the team qualification for the 2013 FIFA U-17 World Cup scheduled for the United Arab Emirates (UAE) in October.
The performance by the Nigerian athletes at the under-18 championships also helped the country to top the medals table with 18 gold, 9 silver and 17 bronze medals at the championships.

The championships which was held in Warri, Delta had witnessed the participation of athletes from 33 countries.
Jonathan, while reflecting on the performances of the players and athletes, urged the two teams not to relent in their roles as models.
“You should continue to inspire young people to bring success and victory tothe country,’’ he said.

The President specifically charged the Golden Eaglets not to relent but to see their qualification to the World Cup as a golden opportunity to shine on the world stage.
Jonathan noted that 2013 was already turning out to be an eventful year for Nigerian sports.
“Early in the year, we celebrated the gallant exploits of our Super Eagleswho won the Africa Cup of Nations trophy.

“Today, we are celebrating all of you our young men with talents and I commend you all for sustaining the trend.
“We are taking concrete steps to consolidate and transform our sports sector and we are glad about the positive results,’’ he said.
Earlier, the Minister of Sports, Bolaji Abdullahi, had said the two years of Jonathan’s administration had been eventful in sports with the Super Eagles’ continental triumph after a 19-year wait.
Abdullahi also pointed out that it was the first time since 2007 that the national under-17 male football team would be qualifying for the World Cup.

He said Nigeria had in the last two years won six gold, five silver and one bronze medals through the 2012 London Paralympic Games in 2012.
“That was Nigeria’s second best performance ever at that level,’’ the minister said.

He added that Nigeria also won the African Senior Athletics Championships in Porto-Novo, Benin Republic after 14 years.
“The landmark achievement is a befitting reward for Jonathan’s commitment to sports development,’’ Abdullahi said.